The College is guided by the governing regulation on admission of suitably qualified candidates. The joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) advertises each year, inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates for admission into all Colleges of Education in the country for the regular NCE programme.
- General Admission Requirements into 3 – Year NCE Programme
- A West African Senior Secondary School Certificate (WASSC) NECO or GCE ‘O’ with passes in 5 subjects, including English language, three of which must be at credit level at the same sitting or four credits at two sittings. Two of the credits must be relevant to the course the candidates wishes to offer. Credit in English and/ or Mathematics may be required in some courses to meet Departmental requirements.
- A Grade II Teachers’ Certificate (TCII) with credit or merit in three subjects, two of which must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer. Credit/Merit in English Language and/or Mathematics may be requirement in some courses.
- Teachers’ Grade II certificate with at least (5) years of post-qualification teaching experience with orwithout the number of credit/merits in at least four subjects are acceptable qualifications.
- For candidates wishing to offer courses in Vocational and Technical Education, R.S.A. or City and Guides/intermediate Certificate or the Federal Craft Training Certificate or the National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB) Certificate with credit/merit in at least four subjects are acceptable qualifications.
- Associateship Certificate in Education at merit level awarded by an approved institution in Nigeria or abroad, is also an acceptable qualification.
- Successful candidates in the Pre-NCE final examination who in addition take and succeed in a selection examination organized by an accredited body would also be qualified foradmission.
- All candidates wishing to be considered for admission must enrol for and write the selection examination organized by an accredited body JAMB. Post JAMB screening test is organized for prospective candidates too.
- Departmental Requirements
In addition to the College general requirements, candidates must satisfy the following respective departmental requirements
- English Students who wish to offer English as a major Teaching subject must have a Credit/Merit in English Language and at least, a pass in Literature in English at Senior School Certificate (SSC) NECO Level.
- Science those who wish to offer Primary Science, Biology, Computer, Geography or Economics must, at least, have an O/Level pass in Mathematics.
- Senior Islamic Studies Certificate (SISC)
- Thanawiyyah/Taojihiyyah Certificate from recognized Institution in Nigeria.
- Candidate with Thanawiyyah Certificate from Arab countries shall be subjected to examination and interview before admission into the programme.
- Social Studies: Those who wish to offer Social Studies must have Credit/merit in Grade II Social Studies and
- Physical and Health Education (PHE)WASSC/NECO (SSC) GCE O/L with four passes at aWASSC/NECO (SSC)/GCE ‘O’ Level with four passes Business Education (Accounting Option)Accounting Education, Business Management: must have a Credit in Accounts and Mathematics plus Credit in commerce and Economics.Candidates with Grade II Teacher’s Certificate (passed) with Credit/Merit in P.H.E. and a pass in any of thefollowing: General Science, Health Science, Biology, Integrated Science, Health Science, ma’ also be considered for admission into NCE PHE. Programme
- NCE Arabic Medium‘two of the following subject: Government Economics, Geography and History.
- Primary Science: Credit/Merit in Integrated Science, General Science or in any one of the following: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics is a necessary condition for admission.
- Primary Education Studies: Grade II Teacher
Certificate with at least three years post qualification teaching experience. All candidates must have at least a pass in English language at TC II certificate or WASC/GCE ‘O’ Level, or IJMB ‘O’ Level.
6.0 ENTRY QUALIFICATIONS FOR PRE-NCE PROGRAMMES UNDER NCCE MANDATE
Pre NCE Science and Vocational Subjects
- WASSC/NECO SSC and GCE (O/L) with at least four passes in English Language, Mathematics and two other Science-related subjects or Complete Teachers’ Grade II certificate with passes in English language,
Mathematics/Arithmetic processes, General/integrated Science and any other science related subjects such as Health Science, Agricultural Science Applied Biology, Home Economics etc. or sitting in Mathematics and other relevant science
- Federal Craft Certificate (FCC) with passes in four
academic subject including Mathematics, Science English Language and Social Studies.
Pre-NCE Business Studies at a sitting or 5 passes at two sittings including English
Language, Mathematics and Business related subjects i.e. Accounting, Commerce, Economics and Shorthand.
- Complete Teachers Grade II Certificate with at least, a
pass in English Language, Mathematics/Arithmetic processes, Integrated Science, Geography or Social Studies.
- National Business and Technical Education Board
(NABTEB) certificate with at least four passes including English Language and Mathematics. Pre-NCE Nigerian Languages
- WASSC/NECO (SSC)/GCE (OIL), with passes in at least, four subject at a sitting, one of which be at credit level in either English language or Literature in English at least a pass in one of the three major Nigerian Languages (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba).
WASSC/NECO (SSC)/GCE (OIL), with at least, five passes at two
- sittings including a credit in English Language, or Literature in English and a Nigerian Language or
- A full Teachers’ Grade II Certificate with at least a pass in a Nigerian Language.
Pre-NCE Social Studies
- SSCE/GCE (OIL) with four passes at a sitting or 5 passes at two sittings including English Language and two Social Science related subjects, preferably Economics and Geography.
- A complete Teachers Grade II Certificate with at least a pass in Economics, Geography and Social Studies.